- Job Type: Full-Time
- Function: IT
- Industry: Content & Creative Software
- Post Date: 11/20/2023
- Website: webflow.com
- Company Address: 398 11th St, 2nd Floor, San Francisco, CA, 94103
About WebflowWebflow is the way to design, build, and launch powerful websites visually — without coding.
At Webflow, our mission is to bring development superpowers to everyone. Webflow is the leading visual development platform for building powerful websites without writing code. By combining modern web development technologies into one platform, Webflow enables people to build websites visually, saving engineering time, while clean code seamlessly generates in the background. From independent designers and creative agencies to Fortune 500 companies, millions worldwide use Webflow to be more nimble, creative, and collaborative. It’s the web, made better.
We’re looking for a Senior Database Engineer to join as an early member of our Storage Platform team. This team is responsible for some of the most critical database and caching systems at Webflow. In this role, you’ll improve performance, scalability, and reliability of our storage infrastructure. We are building Webflow's storage solutions for the long term and you will have a direct impact in the shape of that technology!
About the role
- Location: Remote-first (United States; BC & ON, Canada)
- Exempt status
- Our cash compensation amount for this role ranges from $130,000 - $178,000 for most US locations and $144,000 - $198,000 for US locations with a higher cost of labor. All figures cited above are in $USD and pertain to workers located in the United States. Pay is based on several factors including market location, and may vary depending on job related experience, knowledge, qualifications, and skills.
- Reporting to the Senior Engineering Manager, Data
As a Senior Database Engineer on the Storage Platform team, you’ll:
- Design and maintain robust, scalable and highly-available data storage systems that support the company's main Webflow application and services.
- Perform regular monitoring, performance tuning, and optimization of database systems that handle transactional, high-concurrency, low-latency workloads.
- Design and implement backup, recovery, and failover strategies to ensure data integrity and minimize downtime in the event of system failures.
- Implement automation and tooling to streamline database operations, configuration management, and deployment processes.
- Provide technical leadership and guidance to product engineering teams on the storage layer's design, usage, and optimization.
- Implement appropriate measures to ensure security, governance and compliance of customer data in production.
- Stay up to date with industry best practices, trends, and emerging technologies in the database and data management space.
- Participate in on-call rotation to meet the SLA per business needs.
In addition to the responsibilities outlined above, at Webflow we will support you in identifying where your interests and development opportunities lie and we'll help you incorporate them into your role.
You’ll thrive as a Senior Database Reliability Engineer on the Storage Platform team if you have:
- 5+ years of experience operating Relational and/or NoSQL databases in a large-scale, customer-facing production environment that allows for little to no downtime.
- Strong knowledge of various distributed data storage and retrieval systems and their tradeoffs.
- Experience with some or all of the following systems we leverage: MongoDB, AWS RDS, DynamoDB, Redis, Elasticsearch, S3, Rockset, ClickHouse, Kafka.
- Experience with improving storage performance, resiliency and reliability of data systems.
- Experience with observability and monitoring tools such as Datadog, Grafana and AWS CloudWatch.
- Experience with infrastructure-as-code tools like Terraform and Pulumi.
- Experience with public cloud providers like AWS and GCP.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills to work effectively with cross-functional teams.
- Enthusiasm for mentoring and sponsoring less-experienced engineers.
It would be a bonus if you had even one of the following:
- Experience in SRE or DevOps engineering.
- Experience scaling databases for large-scale production use cases.
- Experience with container-centric architectures, built with Docker and orchestrated on Kubernetes (EKS).
- Experience in contributing to full-stack applications built using tools like React, Node.js, and MongoDB.
Even if you don’t meet 100% of the above qualifications, you should still seriously consider applying. Research shows that you may still be considered for a role if you meet just half of the requirements.
Our Core Behaviors:
- Obsess over customer experience. We deeply understand what we’re building and who we’re building for and serving. We define the leading edge of what’s possible in our industry and deliver the future for our customers.
- Move with heartfelt urgency. We have a healthy relationship with impatience, channeling it thoughtfully to show up better and faster for our customers and for each other. Time is the most limited thing we have, and we make the most of every moment.
- Say the hard thing with care. Our best work often comes from intelligent debate, critique, and even difficult conversations. We speak our minds and don’t sugarcoat things — and we do so with respect, maturity, and care.
- Make your mark. We seek out new and unique ways to create meaningful impact, and we champion the same from our colleagues. We work as a team to get the job done, and we go out of our way to celebrate and reward those going above and beyond for our customers and our teammates.
Benefits & wellness
- Equity ownership (RSUs) in a growing, privately-owned company
- 100% employer-paid healthcare, vision, and dental insurance coverage for employees and dependents (US; full-time Canadian workers working 30+ hours per week), as well as Health Savings Account/Health Reimbursement Account, dependent on insurance plan selection. Employees also have voluntary insurance options, such as life, disability, hospital protection, accident, and critical illness
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave for both birthing and non-birthing caregivers, as well as an additional 6-8 weeks of pregnancy disability for birthing parents to be used before child bonding leave. Employees also have access to family planning care and reimbursement.
- Flexible PTO with an mandatory annual minimum of 10 days paid time off, and sabbatical program
- Access to mental wellness coaching, therapy, and Employee Assistance Program
- Monthly stipends to support health and wellness, as well as smart work, and annual stipends to support professional growth
- Professional career coaching, internal learning & development programs
- 401k plan and financial wellness benefits, like CPA or financial advisor coverage
- Commuter benefits for in-office workers
Temporary employees are not eligible for paid holiday time off, accrued paid time off, paid leaves of absence, or company-sponsored perks.
Be you, with us
At Webflow, equality is a core tenet of our culture. We are committed to building an inclusive global team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, beliefs, and experiences. Employment decisions are made on the basis of job-related criteria without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Not ready to apply, but want to be part of the Webflow community? Consider following our story on our Webflow Blog, LinkedIn, Twitter, and/or Glassdoor.
To join Webflow, you'll need valid U.S. or Canadian work authorization depending on the country of employment.
If you are extended an offer, that offer may be contingent upon your successful completion of a background check, which will be conducted in accordance with applicable laws. We may obtain one or more background screening reports about you, solely for employment purposes.