- Job Type: Full-Time
- Function: Engineering Software
- Industry: IT & Developer Tools
- Post Date: 11/20/2023
- Website: gearset.com
- Company Address: The Bradfield Centre, Cambridge Science Park, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire CB4 0GA, GB
About GearsetGearset is the only platform you need for unparalleled Salesforce deployment success, continuous delivery, automated testing and backups.
It’s an exciting time to join Gearset! In the last few years we’ve rocketed from a 7 person start-up to nearly 240 people, and we’re only just getting started. As a product-driven company founded by engineers, we know the value of a great engineering culture, and we’re looking for great developers to join a team built from the ground up on trust, teamwork and tight feedback loops.
Our deliberate lack of unnecessary hierarchy, and our focus on the job to be done (one of our core values), means you’ll work from day one on making thousands of businesses around the world more effective. Working closely with users, you’ll see the difference the features you build have on millions of people developing on Salesforce, and how they apply DevOps best practices to their development and release process.
Our culture of trust, transparency, and collaboration, means everyone at Gearset is given the autonomy to succeed and are trusted to do good work. We only add process when it helps us get things done, and we’re allergic to pointless meetings! We live by our core engineering values, which aren’t just nice words—they guide us through day-to-day challenges and are the foundation of how we work together.
We know that learning and development is important to great engineers, and at Gearset you’ll find it comes in many forms. From the chance to collaborate with other really smart people who help you learn and raise your game, to having an annual learning and development budget for conferences, events, and courses. All this coupled with flexible working, and a top end hardware setup of your choosing, you can see that Gearset has built a culture to help you succeed.
Our engineering team is driven by a genuine desire to make the lives of our customers easier, and we do that by helping each other deliver consistently outstanding work. We’re confident in our product, market potential, and we have big plans for the future.
What’s the opportunity for a Senior Software Engineer at Gearset?
- Our small teams have responsibility for product goals, not building specific features, which means people working on the problems have the freedom to decide the tactics they use to solve the root causes. You’ll have the opportunity to impact what we build, as well as how we build it.
- A great team does their best work with context and feedback - there’s no substitute for talking directly with the people impacted by our work. Engineers work across the business and talk directly to customers and partners, to ensure we're solving the most pressing problems in the most effective way.
- Our tech stack includes a mix of cutting-edge and proven technologies, such as C#, React, TypeScript, Postgres, AWS and Docker. You’ll become familiar with our pragmatically chosen stack, but you’ll also help us define what great looks like.
- We release Gearset multiple times a day, and can switch back quickly to the previous release if we find an issue. We continually invest in our observability and infrastructure, and that enables us to build tight feedback loops, fix problems immediately, and delight our users.
What you’ll achieve
- As a more senior member of your team, you’ll maintain and extend existing features, but also contribute beyond your individual work by collaborating with the rest of the development team to spec, design, and build new features.
- Working closely with the Team Lead, you’ll keep an eye on project progress whilst learning from, and sharing your experience with a great team from a wide range of backgrounds in a feedback driven culture where you can do your best work.
- Work closely with users, delighting them with support, researching new features and gaining feedback to drive new ideas and ways to improve.
- Contribute opinions on a range of topics, from development practices to product strategy and roadmap, to impact business decisions.
- Have solid experience as a full-stack engineer, including experience working directly with customers
- Love to learn and improve, and you're comfortable giving and receiving constructive feedback to make your work even better
- Want to build a quality product that’s loved and depended on by its users
- Write well-structured, testable code, with a focus on simplicity and maintainability
- Enjoy working across departments with a diverse team
- Are enthusiastic about working directly with users to build and deliver the right features
- Approach your work with pragmatism, prioritising iteration and delivering value to customers, over process and deliberation
Great to haves
- Experience with leading a team or project
- Expertise of working on a distributed, cloud hosted product with rapid release cycles
- Experience working in an agile development team, where you’ve delivered incremental small slices, and are comfortable with pivoting to meet user needs
Salary and benefits (the stuff you’d expect!)
- Salary is £59k - £78k (depending on experience)
- This is a full time opportunity, working Monday to Friday with the option of flexible home working (for most of us that looks like 2-3 days a week in the office)
- Generous personal development budget for courses, conferences, or whatever is useful to your professional development in the role of up to £1500 per year
- Top end hardware provided
- Free lunch in the office
- 25 days holiday plus bank holidays (with the option to buy an extra 5 each year)
- Company Pension Plan (matching up to 5%)
- Bupa health care
- Life Insurance & critical illness cover
- Discounted gym membership, as well as a range of health and wellness benefits
£59,000 - £78,000 a year
About the engineering team
Some of us studied computer science; some of us have only ever worked at startups; some have worked at huge companies; some are former consultants and some are former chemists. We know diverse teams with varied experiences and opinions are key to the success of the business, so if what we’ve shared about this role sounds interesting, we'd encourage you to apply, whatever your background.
Gearset is the leading Salesforce DevOps platform trusted by more than 2000 companies around the globe, including McKesson, Accenture and IBM. We’ve the fast paced exciting environment of a start-up, with the success and ambition of a scale-up, with offices in Belfast, London, and Chicago, alongside our Cambridge (UK) HQ.
We’re proud of our unique culture built on trust, collaboration, transparency, and teamwork, allowing us to have a feedback-driven culture that keeps us focused on delivering the best solution for our customers.
Alongside our Glassdoor score of 4.8/5, and customer G2 scores of 4.7/5, we hold three awards from Best Companies UK. These include: Top 5 Best Company to work for in the East of England, UK Top 5 Best Mid-sized Company, and Top 5 Best Technology Company to work for in the whole of the UK.